Thursday, January 15, 2015

Dia De Los Muertos Sacred Heart Shrine

Hey there, I hope you are having a fantastic day!  I wanted to share one of the nichos I recently created.  Nichos are small shadow boxes usually made of wood or tin.  They originated as a take on the Roman Catholic retablo tradition of painting saints.   So nichos are little shrines or mixed media assemblage pieces.  I really love working on these little guys and sometimes create my own out of cardboard and found objects.


So back in November during el Dia De Los Muetos, my husband and I did a little shopping in between all the festivals/celebrations downtown and I found these awesome tin nichos.


These are authentic tin shrines from Mexico.  I knew right away that they were PERFECT for my art.


I bought them all and then they sat in stash til recently.  I finally got around to working on them and I'm loving these little treasures.


The outside is painted and then I drew the flowers.  Next I added bling and the inside features a copy of my original canvas entitled Bendita Mujer.


I've created two more that I'll be sharing soon.  Thanks so much for stopping by, letting me know if you have any questions about my process or the products I used.

Take Care!!

1 comment:

  1. WOW Norma! This is AMAZING!!!!
    You are so talented!!!
    LOVE it my friend!!!!!
    Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...